FAQ Top Billede

Find answers on your questions in our FAQ for tenants by scrolling down

FAQ for tenants

Who must I pay rent to?
We only collects the 1st month rent. After that it is the administrator/housing association who collects the rent. They will make sure to send you the needed paying information, when the times comes. 

What is study check?

We are obligated to do a compulsory study check at least once a year – or as required – to ensure that the people, who occupy the apartments are, in fact, entitled to do so.

When you move in to a dormitory or youth housing, you must submit valid documentation, which confirms your study- and educational activity. Subsequently, you will receive an email, when it is time for a study check, once again.

Please notice! If your accommodation is specified as a "STAY accommodation", we already need the valid study documentation when signing the contract. 

What is valid study check?

Examples on valid study documentation can be one of the belowmentioned: 

  • A written confirmation from your study secretary 
  • A printscreen of the SU-statement from www.su.dk
  • Letter of acceptance if you have started studying less than 3 months before

Important regarding the abovementioned:

  • Valid documentation must be issued within the past 3 months
  • It must include your name, and if possible, your birthdate and the date of the commencement of your studies. Also, the documentation has to state, when you expect to complete your studies.


My roommate is moving out. Can I keep the accommodation?
Please contact the housing association to whom you are paying rent. They will be able to inform you about the possibilities for assignment of the lease.

How do I terminate my accommodation?
You must termination your accommodation by filling out a terminationform, which you also can find under the headline 'Tenant'. Whether you choose to sign the contract by using MitID or sign the form by hand is up to you. Both ways are valid. It is, however, not enough to just send an email or call in to terminate your accommodation.


What is my term of notice?
You can find the information in your rental contract whether you have 3 months- or 6 weeks term of notice to the 1st in a month. You can also find the information in the compiled addresslist, which you will find a link to under the headline termination. 


How can I be sure that you have received my termination?
We will send you a termination confirmation by email within 3 weekdays after receiving your termination. It is your responsibility to check that we have received the correct data. If you have not received any confirmation from us within the 3 weekdays after - then please contact us. 


I have received a termination from you. Why?
We are obligated to terminate your accommodation, if we do not receive any valid study documentation from you. Please contact us as soon as possible, if you are still study active.


How long time after ending my studies, can I keep my accommodation?
You can stay in your accommodation up to 6 months after ending your studies. It is important that you are aware of the end of the 6 months tenancy, so you make sure to terminate your accommodation according to the deadline.

Can I supply for rent subsidy?
The conditions for applying for rent subsidy is that the accommodation must have its own kitchen or kitchenette with water and discharge installed. Besides that you must also pay a minimum of the rent before any rent subsidy can be calculated. You can find the current minimum limit at www.borger.dk or by contacting us. 

If you new accommodation meets the demands for applying rent subsidy, we will make sure, that you receive a link together with the rental contract, so you can start the rent subsidy process. 

As I am studying abroad for 6 months, I wish to sublet my apartment – what do I need to do?
If you wish to sublet your apartment, you must find your own subtenant, who also has to be enrolled in an educational programme. View our rules for subletting in the menu on the left. Subsequently, you must fill in the application that permits you to sublet and, by yourself, devise an authorised lease contract with date specifications. These documents are also found in the menu on the left under 'Subletting'.


What documentation do I need for the sublet to be permitted?
Studiebolig Aalborg needs the completed application for the subletting permit, the lease contract filled in by the tenant and subtenant and also documentation of study- and educational activity from both tenant and subtenant.

From the tenant, we need documentation that traveling abroad happens in connection with studies and from the subtenant we need the customary documentation for study- and educational activity, which proves that the person, in question, is enrolled in an educational programme.


How do I find a subtenant?
For instance, you can hang a poster at Aalborg University and/or other educational institutions and, naturally, at Studiebolig Aalborg as well. You are also welcome to fill in a bill form for subletting, which you will find in Accommodations/Dormitory- & Youth Housings for subletting, and return it to us – then we will post the bill on the website. 

I need a sabbatical, as my current educational programme has turned out, not to be my thing. Thus, I need time to figure out, what I’m going to do next – can I stay in the apartment?
No, a sabbatical is, unfortunately, not approved in regard to being permitted to stay in youth housing. If there are no plans to – within a short period – find another educational programme or apprenticeship, you have to give notice on your lease. If necessary, contact Studiebolig Aalborg to learn more about YOUR situation.

I have become tired of school and need a break (leave of absence) from my studies before I proceed – can I keep the apartment?
Yes, you can. As long as, you are taking a leave of absence for a period of time with the intention of continuing the studies later. However, you are not allowed to sublet your apartment, while you are taking a leave of absence.

I have become pregnant and, thus, need to take a leave of absence from my studies – can I keep my apartment?
Yes, you can keep your apartment. However, Studiebolig Aalborg needs documentation of your pregnancy – for instance, a copy of the medical record and a written confirmation from the place of study that you are taking a leave of absence for a period of time – and return to the studies, later on. 

My partner and I have split up and, therefore, he/she is moving out of the apartment – do you need to know anything besides the fact that one tenant is vacating the apartment?
If both names figure on the lease contract, and the person (who is planning to continue the lease) is able to document, that he/she is enrolled in inducation at the moment, maybe it's possible to continue the lease. In such a matter and for further information please contact the housing association, to whom you are paying rent.   


I wish to move out of my apartment next summer and my friend wants to take over my apartment. Is it okay for her to take over the apartment?
No, it is not okay. There is a waiting list for all leases, so if you send us your notice, we will, above all, offer your apartment to the applicants on the waiting list. However, your friend can sign up for the waiting list – on our website – and hope that she is among the ones, who receive an accommodation offer. 


I can not see your signature/stamp on the contract, when I open it from my iPhone/iPad?
When you - as a new tenant - have paid and signed the contract, we will return a copy of the signed contract to you with our stamp and signature. However when opening a signed contract on an iPhone/iPad, you will notice that our signature is not showing. This is due to the fact that Apple products uses a standard PDF-viewer, and not Acrobat Reader, which is required. In order to see the signed contract correct, please follow the guidance here.